The Saskatoon Jazz Society (SJS) is proud to offer two awards annually to music students.
Student musicians are encouraged to apply for the Gordie Brandt Memorial Scholarship which is awarded annually by the SJS:
Gordie Brandt Memorial Scholarship
The Gordie Brandt Memorial Scholarship is awarded each year to a music student entering first year studies in a college or university program, or to a student entering the second or third year of jazz music studies at a college or university.
- Purpose: To help students with their tuition and encourage excellence in jazz music performance
- Eligible Applicants: Music students entering their first year of study in a college or university program, or students entering their second or third year with an interest in pursuing jazz music studies at a College or University are eligible to apply.
- Selection Criteria: The recipient will be chosen by the SJS Education and Outreach Committee, the Executive Director, and the Artistic Director after a review of the applications.
- Deadline: November 15th each year
- Award: Announcement of recipient is made on January 15th annually
- Application: Apply online via the SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Congratulations to the 2023 Recipient: Rochelle Wright!
Doug Cherry Memorial Scholarship
Awarded by the SJS to a University of Saskatchewan music student entering year 2 or 3 of their music program.
The Doug Cherry Award is presented by the SJS President or designated board member in the month of March.
- Purpose: To encourage and acknowledge excellence in improvisation.
- Eligible Recipients: Registered music students in the Music Department at the University of Saskatchewan who are members of the U of S Jazz ensemble and a jazz combo.
- Selection Criteria: The recipient will be chosen by the university music faculty, based in part on recommendations received from the University of Saskatchewan Jazz Ensemble leader. The selection of a student who, in the opinion of the selection committee, demonstrates outstanding ability or significant improvement in jazz improvisation will be made at the annual awards meeting of the music faculty. The announcement of the recipient will be made at the Department’s annual awards banquet.
- Deadline: January 15th
- Award: Presented in March at the U of S Music Department’s Annual Awards Banquet